[Scons-users] ToolsForFools wiki suggestions

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Nov 26 08:05:34 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 00:04 -0500, Peter Cooner wrote:

> Story - can be skipped:

> So I needed a builder for Google's Protobuf files which uses protoc.

> I tried to use the Protoc (protobuf) builder off the wiki -

> http://www.scons.org/wiki/ProtocBuilder - but I couldn't make that

> work. Through random chance I ended up on the ToolsForFools wiki page

> - http://www.scons.org/wiki/ToolsForFools - and what an improvement!

> With TFF wiki in hand I spent the next day working through creating an

> improved Protoc builder of my own. While I worked through this I did

> run into several problems though.

Source code should not be mastered on a wiki. Source code should be
under version control. In our case Mercurial on BitBucket. I took what
code I could for this and put it in
https://bitbucket.org/russel/scons_protobuf

Can I suggest that all data on wiki about this be removed and replaced
with pointers to the codebase. If there are any changes that need making
to the code in the Mercurial repository, I will be very quick merging
tested changesets.

Actually I am entirely happy to pass ownership of this repository over
to someone who uses Protobuf. I was going to but the project got canned
so I didn't.

> Suggestions for ToolsForFools wiki page:

> 1. Great page - better then the official documentation! Advertise it,

> or something!

> 2. Every builder page I've ever seen ignore VariantDir -

> http://www.scons.org/wiki/VariantDir() - but most of them break if you

> are using them!

> 3. Understanding Dir() and Entry() magic was critical for my builder,

> but most builders don't address this, why is that?

> 4. As a demo for building Tools, I think they should go to a proper

> Builder, not just a pseudo-Builder.

> 5. TFF directly access the env dict, shouldn't it use env.Append(BUILDER=...)

> 6. TFF doesn't explain the use of the StopError exception.

> I've attached my protoc.py file, this one works for me pretty well,

> hopefully it works for others. :-)

Can I get you to clone the Mercurial repository, apply the changes and
create a pull request. I can then merge in to the mainline.

Or if you would like to take ownership, I can pass it to you.