[Scons-users] Builder Chains Not Working?

William Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Fri Nov 16 02:20:59 EST 2012

Mark,

On 11/15/2012 05:45 PM, Mark Ribau wrote:

> Builder1 creates transmogrifies data from one structure to another.

> MultiBuilder1 more or less concatenates data.

> The output from the first group MultiBuilder1 calls is then passed

> into MultiBuilder1 again with other data to merge that. The reason

> for this step is so that we can examine the generated input and inject

> some manual input.

> Oh yea, I've actually wrapped .Alias in a function (Method) that does

> some extra stuff, forgot to remove it's extra argument. The wrapper

> function ends up doing env.Alias(target, source) ultimately.

> My understanding was that a PseudoBuilder is a function and does not

> get an emitter or scanner.

Right. It's for sticking a bunch of logic onto the env.
Generally for doing things like chaining commands.

> Builder1 requires those. I need a way such that when source0.json is

> being built by a particular builder (Builder1), that MultiBuilder1

> also gets run on it, passing in a specific target, and it emits a

> second target as well.

Sounds like pseudo builder to me. Emitter's not really meant to do what
you're doing.
It's meant to modify the source/target list.

A scanner could do what you want. But a pseudo builder would be the
simplest.
But if it's working for you..

> Doing this in the Emitter does work. Doing it in the Build function

> had issues because it ran far too late for dependency checking to pick

> changes up. I'm just trying to figure out why the three ret's need to

> be aliased when I've never had to do that before for anything else

> like this. With or without the alias calls, the dependency graph

> looks correct and just like the other ones I've generated. Is it b/c

> they are .json files and it gets confused by not being able to have a

> input/output suffix chain?

Try getting rid of the extra alias()'s and use scons --debug=explain.
Don't think its .json.