[Scons-users] Library configuration

Managan, Rob managan1 at llnl.gov
Wed Jun 20 13:03:43 EDT 2012

Evan,

I like the idea. I was annoyed at how much work I had to do to build up
the ability to even specify a path on the command line for the build to
check and use. If you want any of what I set up for my use, if only to
say, "I don't want to do it that way!" let me know.

If you do this I encourage you to have an option like mine that says here
is a path to a library and expect headers in path/include and library in
path/lib since so many packages are set up that way. It lessens the user
input. Of course, for some libraries you need to be able to specify
include and lib directories separately.

The autoconf like parts of Scons have been in need of work for many years
to improve them.

I am not sure if it fits with what you are thinking of but I have enjoyed
the ability to cache values from a previous run so I don't have to specify
the directories every time. OTOH, sometimes you forget what it is using. I
suppose I should print out those directories so I can see if they point
somewhere odd.

Rob

Rob Managan email managan at llnl.gov
LLNL phone: 925-423-0903