[Scons-users] [scons-users] Support for Python 3?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Mon Jun 11 16:18:23 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM, William Deegan
<bill at baddogconsulting.com>wrote:

> Is building a local version of python 2.7 or 3.2 a barrier for people

> building software?

> Last time I tried building 2.7 on my RHEL4 (yuck) machine I couldn't make

it happen due to a bunch of dependencies. (Sorry, don't remember what they
were -- this was a while ago.) Not to say it can't be done, and maybe
--without-XXX would have gotten me partway there. But for instance I need
PIL and numpy and various other stuff in the same python I build with, so
it did get kind of gnarly.

AT SOME POINT (not yet IMHO) we may be forced to fork, and put 2.x support
into bug fix mode, backporting things as and where possible, and set (2.7
or 3.x) as the baseline for the new version. Right now, since I have a lot
of 2.6 around, that would prevent me from being able to use that mythical
new version. Projecting from myself (always dangerous of course), I'd
imagine others are still in the same situation. From what folks have said
on this thread, trying to keep both branches in feature-sync would become
pretty difficult soon, so the later we do that fork (so the less we have to
care about features on the "old" branch) the better. Balance that against
what we lose by not supporting 3.x and we'll probably get to a tipping
point sometime this year or next I guess.

--
Gary