[Scons-users] [scons-users] Support for Python 3?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Mon Jun 11 13:33:36 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Evan Driscoll <driscoll at cs.wisc.edu>wrote:

> On 06/10/2012 01:37 AM, Russel Winder wrote:

>> — Everyone I am presenting Python training courses to is at least on

>> Python 2.5, though almost all are on Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.2. I think

>> switching SCons base version from 2.4 to 2.6 is viable and doable.

> There are occasional polls on the Python mailing list about what versions

> to support. There are a lot of people still who are sticking with

> supporting 2.4; a primary reason for this is that is the version used by

> Red Hat Enterprise 5, which is still somewhat widely used. (For instance,

> by me! :-))

> How much that matters, I dunno. (Despite saying that, I actually don't

> really have a dog in the fight... we have many versions installed

> side-by-side, and in fact I have 'python' set up to run 2.7.)

This is unfortunately the reality of the world. 2.4 is still widespread,
and 2.6 is as high as you can realistically go in many situations (even at
my work we have to support 2.6). I would not be comfortable raising the
floor for SCons past 2.6 for a while to come, and even 2.6 would cause us
to lose a certain part of the user base I think.

--
Gary