[Scons-users] Several questions that may sound silly :)

William Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Tue Jul 24 12:48:36 EDT 2012

On Jul 24, 2012, at 12:27 AM, Propadovic Nenad wrote:

> Hello dear everybody on the mailing list,

> as I stated in the subject...

> I was told to search for a Python equivalent to Maven, as I'm the Python-guy in a multilanguage environment, and the chief wants to move company IT to Python as far as possible. I remembered reading about Scons some years ago, so I took a look at the page...

> It looks a bit abandoned?

> Having announced to the user list, I was pleased to receive the first digest few hours later.

> However, it was also the last since Wednesday...

> So, silly question no. 1: is Scons still being actively developed?

Yes.
In the last year or so we've migrated from subversion to mercurial hosted on bitbucket.
It took a while (and it's still in progress) to get our workflow adjusted to all the advantages of mercurial.
We'll likely be creating a new release in the not to distant future.

> #2: I see there is support for Java, but is Scons up to date with Java?

> Is it still a good choice as a Java build system?

I'll let others speak in detail here as I haven't used SCons with Java.
As I understand it, if you are doing mostly Java then there may be better choices.
If you are doing a multi-language tool with some (limited) Java, then SCons may be a good choice.

I know there are others on the list that have much deeper knowledge and experious of the SCons + Java issues.