[Scons-users] Overriding Object to force global dependency

Greg Ward greg at gerg.ca
Thu Jul 5 17:07:12 EDT 2012

On 05 July 2012, Kyle J Strand said:

> I don't know what's going on, exactly, but it seems a bit strange to me

> that FileVersion.os has the .os extension while libSystemUtilitiesJNI.so

> has the .so extension. I don't know exactly what the difference is.

Not strange at all. .os is an object file compiled by SharedObject.
AFAIK the convention of using an extension other than .o is unique to
SCons, but it seems like a reasonable thing to me. I'm sure there is a
good reason for it buried in the past.

.so is of course a shared library. Nothing funny there. (JNI libraries
are perfectly normal, ordinary, bog-standard shared libraries with
rather long function names so that Java can find your code according
to its package scheme.)

Greg