[Scons-users] How important is python 3?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Dec 5 08:38:24 EST 2012

Bill,

On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 06:58 -0800, William Deegan wrote:

> Greetings,

> There's been a number of requests to get SCons running on python 3.

> Please reply with a :

> +1 (if you like this idea)

> +2 (if you really need this idea)

> -1 (if you don't care about python 3)

> -2 (if you don't want the project to move python 3 because of reason (business,technical)

This last one has made this poll very problematic. I don't think SCons
can afford to move to Python 3, at least in the short and medium term. I
think though it has to work with both Python 2 and Python 3 in the short
term or become irrelevant.

So my vote is +200000000000000000000 for having SCons work on Python 3
as long as it still works on Python 2.

The real issue is the Python 2 floor issue. At the moment it is 2.4. If
it were 2.7 I suspect we would have little difficulty making a Python
2 / 3 compatible code base. 2.6 will be more tricky, 2.5 and 2.4
impossible realistically.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net