[Scons-users] StaticLibrary builder

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Wed Aug 8 13:09:23 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 10:55 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

>> > environment = Environment(tools=['g++','gnulink'])

>> try tools=['default', 'g++', 'gnulink']

>> otherwise your env has no tools except the ones you defined.

> A number of thoughts:

> 1. g++ and gnulink define a complete toolchain. so why do I need more.

> Actually I shouldn't need gnulink given I said g++ but I don't get the

> Program builder without a link tool.

Because tools don't have dependencies, so just because it *looks* like
a complete toolchain doesn't mean it works that way. (There is no
real concept of a toolchain in SCons yet.) If you added gcc it might
have worked.

> 2. I actively want to stop some tools being initialized because they

> are broken. It's OK, I broke them, they are experiments that I need to

> be able to selectively ignore.

Some of the default tools? Or your own?

> 3. Surely tools=['default', 'g++', 'gnulink'] is just redundant since g

> ++ and gnulink are initialized by default anyway?

If you're on Linux (or Mac I think) then the above should be true.

> 4. tools=['default', 'g++', 'gnulink'] does actually work for me, which

> means I now have no understanding of what is happening.

Does it work with tools=['default']? (I.e. no additional tools) If
so, your explanation above explains it.

--
Gary