[RASEY-DNA] Joseph RASEY I descendant to take WTY

Diana Gale Matthiesen DianaGM at dgmweb.net
Thu Jun 23 01:21:46 EDT 2011

Hello List,

Member #69631, the Haplogroup I2b1 descendant of Joseph RASEY I, has
been accepted into the WTY program at FTDNA:
http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers/default.aspx?faqid=27

The WTY project is searching for new SNPs on the Y-DNA haplotree:
http://dgmweb.net/DNA/SNPcharts/I2_current.html

Only about half of those tested will turn up a new SNP, but hopefully
our candidate will be one. Even if they find one, it won't
necessarily mean it will be a new branch on the tree. These are the
possible outcomes of finding a new SNP:

1. It's a recent, private SNP, useful only to the immediate family.

2. Everyone in Haplogroup I2b1 (or an upstream clade) has the SNP, so
it becomes simply a synonym for that clade.

3. Some, but not all, Haplogroup I2b1 individuals have the SNP,
therefore warranting a new branch on the haplotree.

Obviously, once the SNP is found, FTDNA must make the SNP available
for others to test, which it will do, and other I2b1's need to take
it.

We have about three months to wait for results and, if a new SNP is
found, longer still to wait to see how useful the SNP will turn out to
be.

Diana