[RASEY-DNA] FW: Adding members from other labs

Diana Gale Matthiesen DianaGM at dgmweb.net
Wed Feb 14 13:37:01 EST 2007

Hello Jim,

I can tell you there are five of us on the list, but I'm not at liberty to
divulge their names. If they want to reveal themselves, it's their option.

I don't suppose there are any RASEYs/etc. out there who've been tested
elsewhere, but I felt obliged to pass on the notice of the offer.

Yes, I agree that destroying the myth of a MacLEOD of Raasey origin for Joseph
RASEY has been a blow to many (including this "Highlander" fan!). I'm rather
inclined, though, to think that the actual perpetrator was the author of
"America Heraldica," Edgar de Valcourt-Vermont (two bits says that wasn't his
real name). He was creating a book for commercial sale (hence the hoity-toity
title and moniker), and there were many of these "vanity" books created around
the turn of the century for this purpose. You sell books by telling people what
they want to hear, and many of these writers/publishers were totally
unscrupulous. I think our trusting Rev. RASEY was probably duped into
contributing both his name and, probably, some money to further publication of
the book.

There are still companies out there, today, duping genealogy novices into buying
expensively bound "surname books" that are worthless compilations (e.g., from
old phone books) and renderings of "coats of arms" that are either inappropriate
or faniciful. When it comes to human vanity, be skeptical -- and hang on to
your wallet!

Diana