[IGDA_indies] Whither Art Thou Indie?

Robert Madsen madsen.robert at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 10:11:25 EDT 2011

My name is Robert Madsen. I recently founded SynapticSwitch
(SynapticSwith.com). We are working on our first game currently title
Mariner. This will be a social game that runs on the web and PC, and
ultimately mobile.

I am indie because it made sense to do so instead of just complaining about
being unemployed. Here is a little history. After 25 years working in IT,
with 15 of that being self-employed, I moved into the game industry for the
fun and challenge. After working for 2 studios and 2 layoffs (perfect
record), it feel that I have built the experience necessary to run my own
indie studio. The only reason I fee this way after such a short time in the
industry is because of the experience I already have running my own company.

I recently wrote an article for the February edition of IGDA Perspectives
that tells the story of going indie, and you can search gamecareergudie.com
for the article that tells the story of how I entered the game industry ("No
More IT for Me").

I have always been an evangelist for the game industry, and desire to mentor
and be a role model for anyone who also loves this industry. Helping out in
the Indies SIG is a natural extension of these activities. I don't know it
all, and still have a lot to learn. But I also have a lot of experience
that I want to share.

Robert