[IGDA_indies] Artists IDE

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Thu Feb 17 15:57:47 EST 2005

http://developer.berlios.de/docman/display_doc.php?docid=733&group_id=27
46
> The project is nd-kit

It's not a bad idea, but each specific tool has its own issues of
maturity.  For instance, for Nebula2 one can buy a Maya SDK for 490
euros, and I think 2 3DSMAX importers of various levels of completion
are available, but the Blender support is pretty bad right now.  Getting
that solved is a more important underlying problem to those interested
in both Blender and Nebula2.  This is going to be true of all the
components on an open source pipeline; nothing is that terribly mature.
So as noble as the overarching vision may be, realistically, we're all
going to have to spend our time on more rudimentary tasks.

Nebula2 might have had a lot of tools by now, but it made a big change
from Nebula1 to Nebula2 to become shader-centric.  This broke all the
code, and lotsa people drifted away from their projects.  Projects have
to remain stable for a long time to accumulate good toolchains.

I notice that the ND-Kit doesn't list a 3D engine.  In terms of project
planning, I find that telling.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed McKenzie

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.