[IGDA_indies] SIG Focus?

C Ratchet zratchet at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 30 15:48:45 EST 2005

On Jan 28, 2005, at 10:09 PM, Jason Della Rocca wrote:

>> What focus should the Indie SIG have?
>
> Indeed, a pretty broad question. And, one that has come up on the list
> several times before.
>
> The reason Mikey asks is because I said I'd like to reboot/rebirth the
> SIG as it lacks focus, has no real sense of purpose, and is
> accomplishing much beyond Mikey's personal efforts to go stuff locally
> in Austin, etc.

Actually I am working with people in a few other areas (Iowa, Indiana,
New York, California, and Washington) its just hard to work with people
without really being there (or at least having scheduled chats which
doesn't seem to be working out :( )

> Part of the challenge is that so much of what an Indie SIG could offer
> is already being offered elsewhere. For example:
>
> - project/team matchmaking and tools (GarargeGames, SourceForge, etc)
> - business and legal resources (eg, IGDA Business Committee, GDC and
> other conferences, various websites, etc)
> - indie interviews (DIYgames, various other resources)
> - contests (IGF, Big C, etc)
> - game promotion/marketing (various sites, portals, etc)

I'd like to see more in the marketing area... ;)
Also I've been working with Nathaniel Berger on a toolkit that gives
the art side of indie projects an IDE...