[IGDA_indies] SIG Focus?

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sat Jan 29 04:43:17 EST 2005

Jason Della Rocca

> Perhaps a more meta approach would be appropriate:
> - listing resources (ie, pointers to all those things listed above)

I am tempted to say, if one doesn't know how to use Google to find these
sorts of things, one isn't cut out to be an indie.

> - reports on the state of the indie "sector" and issues it is facing

That could be useful.  Could avoid the tendency of minor Balkanized
kingdoms to reinvent the wheel.

> - anything related to industry guidelines or standards (I
> can't think of what would be appropriate here)

Indeed, it's counter to the definition of 'indie'.

> But, the challenge here is that so many indie developers are just too
> swamped and fighting to stay alive that anything that is not directly
> applicable to their immediate survival is not of much
> interest (especially if it means volunteering to get it done)...

Very true.  Throwing energy at my programming projects is my highest
priority.

I concur that the business and legal resources are actually available in
various other places.  I just haven't availed myself of them, because
I'm still far from having a product to ship.

That leaves face-to-face organization at the local level.  This is
what's most valuable to me.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur