[IGDA_indies] Pyrogon Postmortem

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Mon Sep 13 12:44:41 EDT 2004

> The only thing missing was your foray into cell phone games (which
> would probably have been the next step for you if you had
> continued) and then you would have ended up in the same position in
> that market as well.

Exactly.  At some point I "grew up" and realized that chasing the same
avalanches that everyone else were chasing was a recipe for
frustration, particularly in markets where excellence isn't a
differentiating factor -- and let's be clear, in the world of
downloadable games and wireless, the actual quality of a game doesn't
really make a huge difference to your bottom line.  Too much of the
revenue is tied up by the distribution channels, and you have little
control over marketing.

The exception to this is if you go hardcore indie and distribute
yourself and through shareware sites instead of trying to partner with
a portal, but this isn't practical if you're doing it full time
because it's a slow burn method for acquiring customers.  The guys who
have done this successfully started off in their dorm rooms or part
time and only went full time AFTER they had built up their business so
that it was self-sustaining.  That's not how I entered the market.

> I have a few questions for you.  If you have the time, please give
> me a call.

Send me a direct e-mail if you want and we can chat off-line.

Brian