[IGDA_indies] getting rich

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Tue Aug 31 19:05:03 EDT 2004

Tom Spilman wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> >
> > Dude, we're indie game developers, not hobbyists.  We're all
> > trying to get rich.
>
>  If your in indie game development to get rich your probably gonna be
> disappointed.

Not me.  I'm damn persistent.  And I've already lost $80K, am all but
bankrupt, am making $8/hour with my voter registration day job, food
banks, eviction threats, etc., so this is not mindless bravado in the
face of pain.  I've been through the worst, for over a year now, and it
can't stop me from reaching my long-term goal.  Which is, to be paid
ridiculous amounts of money to do exactly what I want to do creatively.

> A more reasonable goal is to make enough money to live
> comfortably.  You may call that rich... At the moment I call
> it $4,000 a
> month.  If I get rich along the way it's a bonus.

I will be quite pleased when I reach this goal.  I will keep going
however.  I think it is silly to set one's sights low.  It's good not to
have immediate expectations, but if you don't aim high you ain't ever
gonna get there.

Well, 'silly' isn't the correct word for some people.  I think Defeatism
is silly.  But if someone just wants a stable life at a certain income
level, and not the stress that comes with pushing and pushing and
pushing, that isn't silly.  Just a personal choice.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.