[IGDA_indies] GPL/LGPL, etc

Thomas H. Buscaglia thb at gameattorney.com
Tue Aug 31 17:44:22 EDT 2004

Jason

Sounds like a good idea...but probably isn't.  A style guide put together
by non-professionals could end up promulgating a lot of bad advice.  And
unlike publisher/developer agreements or IP, I don't know of any attorneys
with any real world experience with GLP/LGPL (or even to more commercially
familiar EULA for that matter).

Licensing is not a matter of "style" but of detail drafting and analysis of
the resulting legal impact and consequences of every material term.  I am
hesitant to even consider an undertaking of this nature  because it could
easily lend itself to a great deal of speculation and possibly, unlike the
numerous other white papers I have contributed in the past, bad advice.  Or
in the alternative, some general BS without any real value.  These are very
tough issues and I doubt they would lend themselves to a general
informational sort of white paper...but then I have been wrong before.

At best - we could talk around the issues involved.  But this is not a very
satisfactory result.

I will ponder this matter further...

Tom B <-- pondering

At 03:18 PM 8/31/2004, you wrote:
>All this discussion on GPL/etc makes me think that the SIG should put
>together a "licensing for indie developers" style guide.
>
>Could be a valuable resource!
>
>Jason
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Jason Della Rocca
>Program Director
>International Game Developers Association
>
>t: +1-514-426-1162
>f: +1-514-426-1201
>Montreal, Canada

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *
Thomas H. Buscaglia, Esquire
T. H. Buscaglia and Associates
80 Southwest 8th Street
Suite 2100 - Brickell Bayview Center
Miami, FL  33130
Tel (305) 324-6000
Fax (305) 324-1111
Toll Free 888-848-ILAW
http://www.gameattorney.com

Confidential:  This email contains communications protected by the
attorney-client privilege.  If you do not expect such a communication from
Thomas H. Buscaglia, please delete this message without reading it or any
attachment, and then notify Mr. Buscaglia at thb at intelaw.com of this
inadvertent misdelivery.