[IGDA_indies] next steps

Ted Southard indies@igda.org
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:20:40 -0500

The work reward ratio is bound to be low, but as an indie we're already
talking low numbers, so dropping 50 at someplace that you're at isn't too
big of a deal, especially when considering trying to generate some kind of
buzz.

Good info with the distribution of those flyer racks, and even though I
meant the free kind, it's nice to have for future reference.

Ted Southard
DigitalFlux Entertainment, LLC
Ted@DigitalFlux.com
http://www.DigitalFlux.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Sawyer" <bsawyer@dmill.com>
To: <indies@igda.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 11:54 AM
Subject: RE: [IGDA_indies] next steps

If it's a free flyer rack or a bulletin board which some resturants and
other places have it probably couldn't hurt although I'd wonder about the
work reward ratio.  However, if what you're talking about are postcard racks
the bars have these are run by marketing companies that provide these and
you must purchase them or you'll be cleaned out.

I did some research on these for an article on game related collectibles
because people actually collect them and a number of game companies have
used them.  You can find resellers too.  One of the biggest is Ralph's Rack
Cards which is on the Web at http://members.aol.com/rackcardking/index.htm

The two biggest companies are Go Card (www.gocard.com) and Max Racks
(www.maxracks.com) others include Hotstamps, Brandaid, Eyecards and
Supercard.

The rates are pretty prohibative for anyone with anemic budgets.  The lowest
price is $1600 and it goes way up to $10,000 and more.

A variation of your idea that can be cheaper are stickers to hand out to
people at clubs or bars, or friends, etc. - or to sticker somewhere
appropriate.  Just keep a small bunch with you wherever you go.  A friend of
ours used to run a extreme sport clothing company and even today I still
find stickers for their brand everywhere I go.  It's funny I always know
where Bobby has been because I'll see his companies stick in a bathroom  bar
in a ski-bar, or in some big city on a wall of posters.

- Ben