[IGDA_indies] next steps

Ben Sawyer indies@igda.org
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:27:16 -0500

Brian,

I think your points are fine.  I definitely suggested things that may be =
out
of reach.

In general the purpose of my post was to explore and instigate people to =
see
if there are items other than information sharing that can be done by =
the
SIG.  Information sharing I agree is the #1 piece of help but grassroots
actions tend to need to graduate beyond that to actionable elements if =
they
want to eventually continue their progress.

That said, a "Member of IGDA Indie SIG" logo might not be bad for=20
people to put on Web sites so that awareness of the SIG itself is=20
raised, which I think benefits the whole industry.

I think Member of IGDA Indie SIG is a bit obtuse to some people other =
than
other developers.  I'd say developing some sort of official like "Indie =
Game
Developer" logo might be better.  It should be a consumer branded idea =
to be
the most effective.  It might even link back to a simple awareness Web =
site
on the indie games scene and provide links to other developers, etc.

> What I think might be a good model to observe are some of the=20
> family-farming cooperatives and other artisan cooperatives that=20
> operate throughout the world.

It's called "open source" =3D)

While I agree some open source models are useful my point in =
highlighting
farm cooperatives and artisan cooperatives is that they tend to band
together more to improve their distribution, cost of goods, marketing, =
and
customer sales.

- Ben