[IGDA_indies] next steps

Brian Hook indies@igda.org
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:18:31 -0500

> Moving forward, the community should think about some
> outcomes/goals they like to see come out of the SIG.

>From my point of view, I really want it to accomplish the following:
act as a clearing house and focal point for developers interested in
developing and distributing their games independently.

It's really that simple.  A central resource that answers questions
like:

- it's just me, where do I get get art and music?
- I can't write all this by myself, where can I get help?
- how do I sell stuff on my Web site?
- I need someone to help me with my Web site design
- how much should I sell my game for?
- what type of copy protection should I use?
- someone wants to sell my game, what should I do?
- what are 'affiliates'?

Hmmm, I could probably write a couple articles on the above, but then
again, I end up monopolizing the site, and it goes IGDA SIG to IGDA
Hook's Soap Box =3D)

Anyway, to answer your question, that's basically what I'd like to see
happening -- the IGDA SIG becomes the default place to go when you
don't know what you're doing =3D)

I'd also like it to stay mostly non-technical, since there are a ton
of other resources out there that provide technical references
(flipcode, gamedev.net, etc.).

Brian