[IGDA_indies] next steps

Jason Della Rocca indies@igda.org
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:02:43 -0500

Hi all,

Great to see some life on the list, and renewed interest in the SIG. And, I
think an article on French developers would be great!

Always one to look forward, I think it would be wise to have a discussion
of what the Indie SIG could and should be. Currently, it is a mailing list
and some web pages with articles, interviews and a resource list. This is a
good start.

Moving forward, the community should think about some outcomes/goals they
like to see come out of the SIG.

For example, the Writing SIG felt that there was an overall lack of
knowledge about writing for games - both for those within industry and
writers that were perhaps looking at getting into games. So, a few of the
guys from the SIG worked together, using some online collaboration tools
(like Wiki) to write a 40+ page guide for game writing. You can check it out:

http://www.igda.org/writing/
http://www.igda.org/writing/files/IGDAWritersGuide.v2.50.zip

For the most part, the IGDA board/management had no real involvement in
this and it required no special approval or vote or anything. It was just
the guys in the SIG that saw a need/gap and filled it.

This is just one example. You can check out some of the other SIGs to see
what they are up to:
http://www.igda.org/SIGs/

Anyway, I don't want to jump ahead too far, but it would be great to get
some ideas rolling on what the Indie SIG could do.

Regards,
	Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason Della Rocca
Program Director
International Game Developers Association

t: 514-426-1162
f: 514-426-1201
Montreal, Canada

http://www.igda.org/blogs/realitypanic/