[IGDA_indies] Legal issues with selling game content?

Brian Hook indies@igda.org
Sat, 10 May 2003 19:40:17 -0700

>When doing contract work in providing models, textures, etc.=
 there
>must be some way, to ensure, that a) the customer has the right=
>use and distribute the content in it's game b) the customer=
 cannot
>sell the bought content on it's own (copyright??)

I would suggest looking at the legal agreements in use at places=
 like
TurboSquid, 3DCafe, SoundDogs, etc.  These are designed to cover=
 just
this type of situation.

>Another question that might might be interesting for a customer:=
 How
>can those guys assure, that they are not selling copyrighted
>material? Something they haven't produced on their own.

This is known as indemnification, and any standard contract will=
 have
that.  Once again, look at the agreements that you would have to=
 get
from one of those places and you can at least see how they=
 address
these concerns.

Brian