[kj] “He smashed up my parents’ house three times”. Killing Joke’s Jaz Coleman on how Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones was a regular guest at his family home (loudersound.com/)

dub echo dubecho at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 11:07:08 EDT 2023

https://www.loudersound.com/features/brian-jones-smashed-up-jaz-colemans-parents-house

*“He smashed up my parents’ house three times”. Killing Joke’s Jaz Coleman
on how Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones was a regular guest at his
family home*

By Niall Doherty

The Rolling Stones guitarist made a big impression on a young Coleman, and
that’s not all: “He got a certain member of my family up the duff”

[image: JC&BJ.jpg]

As the frontman of Killing Joke, Jaz Coleman is one of music’s most
entertaining and dynamic figures. He is all things to all people: a
wide-eyed post-punk maverick, an art-metal visionary, a mystic warrior (and
also, outside of Killing Joke, a classical composer, actor and shaman). In
an interview with *Metal Hammer* in 2006
<https://www.loudersound.com/features/killing-jokes-jaz-coleman-my-life-story>,
he looked back to his younger days growing up in Cheltenham, and revealed
that some of his earliest memories were Rolling Stones guitarist and
founder Brian Jones visiting the family home.

“I met Brian Jones at a very early age,” Coleman said. “I remember him
lifting me up and putting me on top of a fruit machine. He asked me, ‘Do
you believe in Christmas?’ I said, ‘No’. He asked me, ‘Do you believe in
magic?’ I said, ‘No,’ and he said, ‘You will do one day’. I’ll carry that
with me for life.”

It’s not the only lasting memory that Coleman has about the guitarist.
“Brian Jones also smashed up my parents’ house three times and got a
certain member of my family up the duff as well,” he said, matter-of-factly.

Speaking to Classic Rock earlier this year, the Killing Joke frontman
elaborated on Jones’ connection to the Coleman family:

“My Grandma Pandy was close to Brian. He trusted and confided in her,
referring to her affectionately as ‘his pal’. With Brian, the bad-boy image
of the Stones was by no means contrived when we look at some of his earlier
behaviour patterns. Cliff, a friend of Uncle Bob’s, remembers Brian
breaking into gas meters with a crow bar in order to extract a booty of
shillings. Uncle Bob referred to him as a thief, but grandma Pandy called
him (in broad Cockney) a ‘randy bantam’!

"My mother was more explicit when I questioned her on this. She described
Brian as bright, a possible sex addict and occasionally malicious. I pushed
her for more details. Ma C replied that he would go with anything – he was
a womaniser with an insatiable appetite. I personally could not find
anything wrong with this.”

Jones died in 1969, drowning in his swimming pool. Ten years later, Coleman
would form Killing Joke, and perhaps Jones’ words about believing in magic
were still ringing in his ears.