[kj] “I like to welcome everybody into the gig personally” – KILLING JOKE’s JAZ COLEMAN interview (Buzz Mag)

letranger789 at yahoo.com letranger789 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 18:25:27 EDT 2022

 Awesome, thanks for all these Paul!
    On Monday, March 28, 2022, 02:59:44 PM EDT, Paul <dubecho at gmail.com> wrote:

 https://www.buzzmag.co.uk/i-like-to-welcome-everybody-into-the-gig-personally-killing-jokes-jaz-coleman-interview/

“I like to welcome everybody into the gig personally” – KILLING JOKE’s JAZ COLEMAN interview
March 26, 2022

Killing Joke
Ahead of their first show in Cardiff since 2015, Killing Joke frontman and sometime classical maestro Jaz Coleman speaks to Buzz’s Carl Marsh.

Are you looking forward to playing at the Tramshed in Cardiff this month?

Where? In Wales! Yeah. Great. I’m looking forward to it. I didn’t know that. I make a point of never, ever looking at where I’m going to play. Always on every fucking tour. So, I know, basically, the kind of territory, but I never look at the places or anything else. But, I am really looking forward to the gig in Wales, now that you mention it.

Besides, Killing Joke, you did a sideways step musically into becoming a trained classical composer, so, in essence, having two lives, that must be difficult to split your time?

Yes, I’ve got two lives with music, and I enjoy both of them separately. It takes me to different places, literally different parts of the globe, and various concert halls that you’d never get to see otherwise, so I like this. The life of a maestro and the life of being a singer, I guess, in a band is a great job.

It’s pretty much like chalk and cheese, though, musically. And if I’d spoken to you 30 or 40 years ago, you probably would have told me to fuck off if I said you’d end up composing with an orchestra!

No, no, no… 40 years ago last week is when I started composing in Iceland and decided that I wanted to become a composer, consciously. And then, of course, it’s the long process of studying orchestration, really studying hard. So that’s what I did, really, with my time, and it’s been an incredible journey. I’ve always done classical music before everything else. Everything from like the age of six. It’s always been there!

And recently, you got awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Music from the University of Gloucestershire. Who would have thought it, Dr Jaz Coleman!

That’s right! Who’d have thought it! Especially with all the things that have happened. But, you know, Killing Joke has been our university. These guys are really well-read – my colleagues.

The environment in which we created was one of a kind of academia and study, in our own funny way. Today I was thinking about it, and we have over 250 years of experience between us all. [Laughter] We were all 18 and 19 when we started! The original lineup has been back in place since 2008. So, it’s been a journey!

Lastly, I know you’ll give me an honest answer about your take on the current sort of rock stars – are they really ‘rock stars’?

I’m probably the last person to ask as I don’t hang out with said ‘rock stars’ – or really know who the current rock stars are. Indeed, I don’t even consider myself a rock star. I’m a fucking two-bit punk who got lucky. [Laughter] I didn’t always want to be a fucking singer; it’s just the way it landed. I think it’s possible to be gifted and talented without a cathedral-sized fucking ego.

I’d never bought into that rock star thing. I don’t live like that, and I certainly don’t act like that. Genuinely speaking, I like to welcome everybody into the concert hall personally. I walk down the lines and the queues shaking hands with people. I’ve been doing that tradition for a long time. Anyone can come up to me on the street and talk. I’m pretty open about that. So, I don’t buy into that rock star thing. Why would I want to be a fucking rock star? I’m a maestro! [Laughs]

Killing Joke, Tramshed, Mon 28 Mar. Tickets: £32.50. Info: here

words CARL MARSH