[kj] “I like to welcome everybody into the gig personally” – KILLING JOKE’s JAZ COLEMAN interview (Buzz Mag)

Paul dubecho at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 12:32:28 EDT 2022

https://www.buzzmag.co.uk/i-like-to-welcome-everybody-into-the-gig-personally-killing-jokes-jaz-coleman-interview/

*“I like to welcome everybody into the gig personally” – KILLING JOKE’s JAZ
COLEMAN interview*
March 26, 2022

[image: Killing-Joke.jpg]
Killing Joke

*Ahead of their first show in Cardiff since 2015, Killing Joke frontman and
sometime classical maestro Jaz Coleman speaks to Buzz’s Carl Marsh.*

*Are you looking forward to playing at the Tramshed in Cardiff this month?*
Where? In Wales! Yeah. Great. I’m looking forward to it. I didn’t know
that. I make a point of never, ever looking at where I’m going to play.
Always on every fucking tour. So, I know, basically, the kind of territory,
but I never look at the places or anything else. But, I am really looking
forward to the gig in Wales, now that you mention it.

*Besides, Killing Joke, you did a sideways step musically into becoming a
trained classical composer <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8gZVSStDs>,
so, in essence, having two lives, that must be difficult to split your
time?*
Yes, I’ve got two lives with music, and I enjoy both of them separately. It
takes me to different places, literally different parts of the globe, and
various concert halls that you’d never get to see otherwise, so I like
this. The life of a maestro and the life of being a singer, I guess, in a
band is a great job.

*It’s pretty much like chalk and cheese, though, musically. And if I’d
spoken to you 30 or 40 years ago, you probably would have told me to fuck
off if I said you’d end up composing with an orchestra!*
No, no, no… 40 years ago last week is when I started composing in Iceland
and decided that I wanted to become a composer, consciously. And then, of
course, it’s the long process of studying orchestration, really studying
hard. So that’s what I did, really, with my time, and it’s been an
incredible journey. I’ve always done classical music before everything
else. Everything from like the age of six. It’s always been there!

*And recently, you got awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Music
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chze4EnYrUw> from the University of
Gloucestershire. Who would have thought it, Dr Jaz Coleman!*
That’s right! Who’d have thought it! Especially with all the things that
have happened. But, you know, Killing Joke has been our university. These
guys are really well-read – my colleagues.

The environment in which we created was one of a kind of academia and
study, in our own funny way. Today I was thinking about it, and we have
over 250 years of experience between us all. *[Laughter]* We were all 18
and 19 when we started! The original lineup has been back in place since
2008. So, it’s been a journey!

*Lastly, I know you’ll give me an honest answer about your take on the
current sort of rock stars – are they really ‘rock stars’?*
I’m probably the last person to ask as I don’t hang out with said ‘rock
stars’ – or really know who the current rock stars are. Indeed, I don’t
even consider myself a rock star. I’m a fucking two-bit punk who got lucky.
*[Laughter]* I didn’t always want to be a fucking singer; it’s just the way
it landed. I think it’s possible to be gifted and talented without a
cathedral-sized fucking ego.

I’d never bought into that rock star thing. I don’t live like that, and I
certainly don’t act like that. Genuinely speaking, I like to welcome
everybody into the concert hall personally. I walk down the lines and the
queues shaking hands with people. I’ve been doing that tradition for a long
time. Anyone can come up to me on the street and talk. I’m pretty open
about that. So, I don’t buy into that rock star thing. Why would I want to
be a fucking rock star? I’m a maestro! *[Laughs]*

*Killing Joke, Tramshed, Mon 28 Mar. Tickets: £32.50. Info: here
<https://www.killingjoke.co.uk/events/2022-03-28-killing-joke-tramshed>*

*words CARL MARSH*