[kj] Pylon and Remaster

Anthony Arena anthonyarena68 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 04:52:17 EDT 2021

For some reason, my novella bounced back.

Here you go, 2 days later:

Hi.  Sorry for the late reply. I brought up the topic several weeks ago.
Ok. IMHO.   Pylon.  I have both the new Vinyl and CD. I have also previous
versions.  Blue, Original Magenta,  Black (Black because color vinyl may
have some slight inferior qualities,  clear and white the closer to black,
but black vinyl,  due to the added polymer, or hardener, makes it the best
for vinyl pressings.   SOUND.   I'm not so audiophile snob where I state
I'm using, this cartridge,  this stylus, this preamp, these speakers.
 I've a great old drive turntable from the mid 80s I listened to my 1st
Malicious Damage KJ on still.  And I've a really nice high quality
audiophile turntable that a friend gave me when he upgraded to something
more ridiculous.  This turntable is forgiving, can provide a smoother sound
w/o reverberating.  I played the black copy and the new green copy for a
couple  of days and compared.  Green Remaster,  1st off, nice to have the
last 3 tracks that weren't on vinyl previously.   2nd. Jaz vocals are
cleaner,  less drowned by his synths which in some ways,  he may tune or be
in same frequency?  Youth's bass lines heard more, where previously they
washed in Geordie's guitar,  following the leader too does help right ?
 The Remaster is not as hot...or recorded volume level.  These are the
pros.   Negatives  (note... in comparison,  doesn't make it better or
worse,  just a little different); the deepness of from when Geordie's
guitar goes from rhythm,  the to verse, or chorus,  depending upon the
song, had less depth on my stereo system.  Part of me, no matter,  the
production or the source, is what I love, when Geordie's sound goes there,
very distinctly Killing Joke.  But frankly,  for some reason,  KJ seem not
to be able to translate their sound properly to vinyl,  despite any
original or remastered IMO, these last 3 albums!  Back to Green Pylon; the
subliminal,  industrial sound effects and synths are quieter.  The
compression limits, extensions of the levels on them are more abruptl).
Last 3 releases, KJ...It's like, the CDs are better, last 3 albums.   Like
they, or maybe the vinyl too (haven't listened on vinyl on surround )
would or do sound better in 5.1 or likely, 7.2 surround sound?   I don't
know if this is due to production,  or, what?  But back to vinyl, don't
know if whoever lathe cuts sucks, and these pressing plants, suck? Shitty
Europe plants or who Spinefarm conract?  Or all of the above.   I do know
Absolute Dissent, great songs,  sounds like shit, especially on vinyl, is
muddy,  distorted,  has clipping,  and the CD sounds better, 20 percent,
but still suffers these issues.   As we get  M-2012.... and Pylon,  the
production improves greatly,  but truly depends on the song.     I own
Everything KJ on Vinyl.   Everything.  I am a completist.  Green vinyl
packaging is outstanding.  Colesy kicks ass!   What do you prefer?  Softer,
cleaner vocals,  more mid-range,  vs... Geordie, deep and high trembles,
and some washing, more subliminal sound effects and synths?

Generally,  Pandemonium,  I hear more subliminal sound effects,  range,
syths, but it is softer.

Now the prior IN DUB sounds amazing on vinyl.    And, Geordie's mix, Down
by the River, sounds great on vinyl.   I wish Geordie was involved in
mixing.

I don't know why there's no crisp drums on Pylon vinyl, either.  But I'll
listen to the CD.   All that said.  I also listened on wired component
headphones and had same impressions.  But they are Bose.  But  I also by
passed my ok  mid range or receiver and the sound i heard was straight from
the phono/preamp.

I am a geek.  I am glad I own both and everything on vinyl.
And I do mean, everything.   That includes 1st pressings,  UK, US, some
Canadian...promos...and test pressings, singles...and every goddamn CD.
 I'm a fanatic and have to put wine and bread on the table for the boys.

I'll say this.  Best KJ on vinyl is Malicious Damage 1st pressings.   And
Of course Invisible records and Youth Dragonfly...(Butterfly too?) Label.
 The Let Them Eat Vinyl sound good too.  They did a great job.

Btw.  I own every damn cassette version of KJ, if it was made! Geekdom!

I'm gonna rock out to the CD Pylon Remaster soon.  And I haven't hooked up
my 5.1 or 7.2 yet as I need to drill holes in the walls and mount.   But I
may run lines and do a temp set up?

I do have a great 11 speaker bose sound stage system in my car...  that
might be good?  I'll start the engine,  in the garage,  turn on the car,
get the fumes going.  Get the right level of carbon monoxide mix, just
right.  If I hear something cool and different,  I'll let you folks know.

You asked, that's my review!  Peace out.