[kj] O/T damned reunion

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Fri Jan 1 13:22:44 EST 2021

The first gig I went to was the Damned - Hammy Palais, July 1983, supported by the Lords of the New Church (who blew me away).
Over the period 1979-1984 (Machine Gun Etiquette, Black Album, Strawberries, plus a host of other stuff like Friday the 13th EP, Rabid Over You, the Peel session with Is It A Dream, etc...) I thought they were amazing.  A real collection of talent, on a musical journey that consistently broke the boundaries of punk and its various sub-genres.  And then... Sensible left, and they turned into a one-dimensional goth band.  I still liked some of the music that came after that point, but something died in mid-1985.
I have particularly fond memories of seeing them in Brockwell Park in 1984.
Jamie