[kj] A very British Coup

Stephen Robinson greyquad405 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 17 18:11:18 EST 2019

Produced by Youth, and err.. it’s having some legal difficulties I don’t understand:

https://www.averybritishcoup.com <https://www.averybritishcoup.com/>

From https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/804933

The story behind this is that Keith Levene (guitar player and featured artist on this release) already had an ongoing court case with an ex-parter Kathleen DiTonio over various things such as breach of contract. Aside from this court documents show that she was to be given a writing credit on this record as it was claimed that Levene's guitar parts were based on her recording "I was a teenage guitarist in the clash" which as far as I can see only appears to exist as a youtube video..

Anyway, for whatever reason Cadiz Music ceased discussion with DiTonio's lawyer regarding crediting her, indeed stopped replying completely. Levene also stated his composition on the track had nothing to do with her.

So she amended her existing lawsuit against Levene and added Jah Wobble, Youth, the owner of Cadiz Music and others to the lawsuit.

Now, this lawsuit is PENDING, at time of writing the defendants merely have been summonsed. No decision has been made. But DiTonio and her husband are scouring the internet and social media on a daily basis looking for anyone uploading, linking or even discussing this record. It's been removed from several websites, been blocked from Discogs, a fan-made youtube video was taken down due to a "copyright claim" from this person. She also has a website gloating about every time she gets something removed.

But by the same token the label involved in this matter isn't exactly acting honourably - as I type I've got another tab open that's got information from someone else involved in the release who was not credited and maybe should have been.

Meanwhile Jah Wobble has made one statement saying there is no injunction out of the record and gone back to using twitter to mostly talk about football.

When another user posted about this release with a query similar to yours a sock-puppet account immediately appeared shouting the odds at everyone even though no-one was expressing any opinion on whether one work was plagarising the other. And oh boy did they take exception to me half-jokingly suggesting people buy it as it might become a rarity. Anyway this sock puppet (who turns out to be Kathy's husband) started making thinly-veiled threats, linked to my facebook (not linked on Discogs) and added a pic of mine to his twitter profile. tl:dr - he semi-doxxed me for daring to even discuss this record and call him out for being an obvious sock-puppet.

Similarly anyone on social media discussing this record immediately has one or both of these people hovering around them. Pretty sure this is not a good way to behave when you've got a court case opened as you run the risk of prejudicing yourself.

It is worth pointing out at this juncture that both DiTonio and her husband work as anti-bullying advocates

I have still not listened to either recording and literally have no opinion on any claims of plagarism. Several unbiased sources suggest that the similarity between the two releases consists of two notes. Which may or not be the same as on other older recordings by Levene. There is talk of his "signature" style. I am not a laywer but looking into this based on past instances of successfully claimed musical plagarism (eg the "blurred lines" case) , everything points to the fact that the plaintiff is going to struggle. A lot hinges on the record label promising a credit and then reneging on that promise. But again - I report what others have said. Find the two versions, make up your own mind.

Anyway, Discogs tends to err on the side of caution regarding these matters - despite the fact this lady neither owns the copyright, has any sort of injunction out on this record or even an actual ongoing court case, presumably a letter from a lawyer was received and Discogs do not have the time and money to research these things themselves.

If the item is ever going to be for sale on Discogs, it'll be a long time from now. Meantime the record is available on ebay through Cadiz Music but they have had to leave out the title of the track but, again, this lady keeps claiming she owns the entire work and got the original listing taken down.

Hooe that covers everything at risk of another sock puppet popping up. If you or anyone else requires any more info PM me. Failing that just google the title of the release and very quickly you'll fall down the rabbit hole that covers what is in this post.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jah-Wobble-12-Single-extremely-rare-limited-yellow-vinyl/193197554264?hash=item2cfb78ba58:g:omEAAOSw2Whdw~ho <https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jah-Wobble-12-Single-extremely-rare-limited-yellow-vinyl/193197554264?hash=item2cfb78ba58:g:omEAAOSw2Whdw~ho>

The last few things I’ve heard from Wobble have been so insipid I’m passing on this one. I loved him, once. But that last one… Blimey was it bland.