[kj] Rare Raven Footage

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 9 14:40:27 EST 2018

Good evening everyone:)

I know we all like to see unusual footage of the Blackbird in action, so I though I'd post this up here.

Here's the backstory. As most of you know, Zilch was a band recruited by legendary Japanese guitarist hide with a group of British and American musicians: Raven on bass, Ray McVeigh from the Professionals on second guitar and Queens of the Stone Age drummer Joey Castillo. They only recorded one album before hide's death in 1998, but the album also featured guest appearances from Jaz and Geordie, as well as some familiar song titles: Inside the Pervert Mound and Psyche. It also featured a guest appearance from drummer Chris Vrenna, which means that the entire KJ lineup that recorded 'Our Last Goodbye' appear. Ray McVeigh tried to keep the band gong in a blatant attempt to screw more money out of hide's suicide, but Raven refused to be involved.

Now, the video here is not a Zilch track. It's called 'Bacteria', and it's a song from hide's second solo album. Although Zilch are credited with backing vocals on the song, the music is performed by hide and his then current backing band. The song wasn't released as a single, but a promotional video was made, and as you can see, it's not hide's regular band, but Raven, McVeigh and Castillo in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1sS8HrBAqE

Interesting glimpse of Raven in a non-KJ setting.

Jim.

NOW AVAILABLE: Flowers From Hell: The Modern Japanese Horror Film, by Jim Harper (Noir Publishing). "Fascinating overview of the Japanese horror boom... Comprehensive, in-depth and slickly presented."- DVD Monthly. Available from Noir Publishing, Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and all good bookstores.