[kj] Killing Joke in the Age of Trump

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 07:51:24 EST 2017

Well, clearly it was a mistake, but what remains to be seen is what kind of mistake it is. Trump is not highly intelligent, and doesn't seem to have noticed that the world of politics (especially international affairs and diplomacy) do not function like the world of business, where Trump's will is immediately obeyed. So it's possible that his tenure may be characterized by a series of failed attempts to get big things done. It wouldn't be the first time a leader talked big but failed to deliver very much.

On the other hand, Trump is confrontational and aggressive, and combined with his lack of political experience and general naivete, that could lead him to offend everyone and materially damage the country he claims to put first.

Who knows? I suspect he will colossally fail to deliver the great things he's promised, largely because they're impossible to deliver. Those who voted for him will never acknowledge either of those statements.

But events have a habit of rarely turning out as bad as they could be, and the world might not be too badly off. Other countries may simply ignore Trump and the USA, leaving him to rant on Twitter while "the grown-ups are talking", so to speak.

I remain optimistic.

Jim.