[kj] G7 and Levee Walkers

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 07:06:10 EDT 2017

Hello Anthony,

Great story about Geordie & the gig.  Weird that 20 is underage in the US.  Most UK gatherers probably went to their first gig before they were 16!  Possibly not legally, but...

Regarding what I expect from the one-offs - can't speak for anyone else of course... I think the problem in recent years has been that KJ have become slightly pigeon-holed with metal etc, and so the collaboration opportunities seem to be relatively growly / grungey type stuff.  I don't think that's an accident, because KJ themselves have become more growly.  But the best bits of the Joke for me are when they can't be pigeon-holed - Pssyche, Follow the Leaders, Empire Song, New Day, Kings and Queens, Mathematics of Chaos, European Super State, Ghosts, Big Buzz, Snakedance.  Mixing that hard-edge with a dance beat.  Since that's the distinctive quality of the Joke, it's unlikely that collaborations with anyone else are going to manage it.  KJ themselves don't always manage it!

My favourite collaboration by a mile is Songs from the Victorious City.  Great that it came out at roughly the same time as Extremities.

Cheers,

Jamie