[kj] Hip Hop, Rap and now Grime was Trump

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 16:05:48 EST 2016

As far as I've understood, hip-hop is the genre itself, while rapping is simply an element of the whole. The concept of 'Rap music' is basically a holdover from the early days when any song that prominently featured rapping would be labelled 'Rap'. There has been a general swing away from using the term as a genre over the years, largely because hip-hop is no longer dominated by the rapper, with beats, production and various musical aspects rising to prominence.

Of course, establishing what hip-hop is has become largely impossible. Kanye West is technically hip-hop but he's operating in a very different way to earlier acts, whether it's De La Soul or the Wu-Tang Clan. On the other hand, the more experimental artists are having difficulty being acknowledged as hip-hop artists, but I'm with MC Dalek on this point: people like Afrika Bambataa are absolutely essential to the development of hip-hop but they're a million miles from the commercial areas of the genre. If Dalek wants to work with Krautrock legends like Faust, since he's definitely coming from a hip-hop background I'm more than willing to accept him as being a hip-hop artist.

Excuse the ramble!

Jim.

NOW AVAILABLE: Flowers From Hell: The Modern Japanese Horror Film, by Jim Harper (Noir Publishing). "Fascinating overview of the Japanese horror boom... Comprehensive, in-depth and slickly presented."- DVD Monthly. Available from Noir Publishing, Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and all good bookstores.