[kj] Hip Hop, Rap and now Grime was Trump

Paul dubecho at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 12:55:46 EST 2016

My understanding of it (I could be wrong and often am) is, Hip-Hop was more
of a culture thing with a few different elements to it, MCing, DJing,
b-boying and graffiti art. Rap would fall under the MCing part and as a
result the terms Rap and Hip-Hop are both the same thing really. Hip-Hop
came from out of the Bronx in New York in the early 70s.

Grime came out of the London, Garage scene, which in turn came out of the
Drum 'n' Bass and Jungle scene, there was also elements of dubstep
involved. Personally I like it, but then I like anything with a good low
bass and both Hip-Hop and Grime took a lot from dub reggae and toasting.

Killing Joke have used elements of both, the rap I think is best left
unmentioned, but Youth did a dubstep mix of ESS
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq6i1hBUxiI>, which I happen to like, but
was not very popular with many on the list : )

I'm pretty much the same, in that I'll not write off any particular style
or genre, just because I don't like it, but I really do detest the
manufactured shite the likes of Louis Walsh and Pete Waterman used churn
out and is still the main stay of current "chart" music. End of the day,
each to their own and in the context of my kids, I don't think any of them
could come near the shock and outrage Punk caused my parents when my
generation decided it was the bee's knees lol That is why I think my
daughter likes to rub the likes of Ed Sheeran, in my face, as she knows he
upsets me as much as say Crass or the Pistols upset my folks.