[kj] Youth & Dennis Morris

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Wed Mar 16 14:23:26 EDT 2016

Apologies if this was covered, er, 9 years ago.  If so, it didn't register on my consciousness.

Back in 1983, I saw Killing Joke on Whatever You Didn't Get, and recorded it on an audio cassette for my best mate, whose parents didn't have a TV.  I was blown away by the Joke, and the rest is history.  To this day, it's still my favourite version of Pssyche.

Anyway, also featured were a band called Urban Shakedown, who were also pretty damn good.  In the intervening years, I've searched for them occasionally on the web, but never found any trace (but have found another later band of the same name).  I tried again recently, and found the two tracks that were on WYDG, both well worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l701gi4Ean8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d-4drLbvYA

...way ahead of their time.  Anyone else remember this and/or actually seen them?  Wish I had...

Anyway, I then discovered that one of them was Dennis Morris... and then I discovered that he was briefly in a band with Youth called Stanley Kubrick Goes Shopping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-S-6t5at0Q

The film of the same name appears to be something to do with Colesy...

Jamie