[kj] Joke + Lords of the New Church

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Fri Jun 10 17:41:04 EDT 2016

So they did - I'd forgotten.  The Lords were one of my favourite bands in the mid-eighties.

I saw them by accident at my first ever gig - the Damned at Hammy Palais - and was blown away, mostly by Stiv.'s charisma and energy, and by Brian James' guitar playing.  I went home and bought the 7" picture disk of Russian Roulette, and then the first album as soon as I could find it, and saw them again as soon as I could, at the Clarendon I think, maybe with the Guana Batz supporting.  If memory serves, that was the gig where I tried to stop someone from getting pulverised by a psychobilly who was absolutely huge.  I tried to grab his arm to stop him taking a swing at the unfortunate victim, and my hand didn't go half-way round his biceps.  He turned round and swung a haymaker at me - all I had to do was duck below the level of the crowd, and it passed over the top of my head.  If he'd connected I'd have been out cold.  Another equally scrawny punk grabbed his other arm, and he turned and swung at him.  T'other lad ducked as well, so I popped up, grabbed the arm again, and then had to duck again.  The three of us carried on like that for what felt like an age, but was probably only about 30 seconds... luckily long enough for the original target to disappear into the crowd.

Anyway, I felt they went downhill fast when the second album came out - just a little bit too concerned with their weirdo image and not enough with playing hard and fast punk rock (or so I thought at the time).  I really liked Live for Today and Dance with Me, but the rest of the album was disappointing.

Hence by the summer of '86, they weren't enough to get me to go to Reading for 3 days, so I just went for Friday to see t'Joke.

Memory lane, eh...

Not-quite-so-scrawny Jamie