[kj] Pylon

T.B. planetary at socal.rr.com
Mon Oct 26 11:58:21 EDT 2015

Neil Perry wrote:

Just read these comments on the FB page. I haven't got a proper copy yet, but any thoughts?
_________
Daren Rasmussen: Got mine a day early. Killer f'ing stuff guys, but why do you continue to offer such outstanding performances... with absolutely horrible mastering? It's so bad it makes my hears hurt at times. Like someone scratching their nails on a chalkboard. Half the time the vocals are obstructed and indecipherable due to the sheer amount of clipping going on. C'mon. Fuck, I'll even master your next one for free. Can we please get some digital re-releases of the last 4 albums with much less hot mastering? Like I said, you always deliver KILLER songs and albums. There's no doubt about that. But they really do sound like shit.

James Lollobrigida: Totally agree. I got the limited vinyl and it's mastered very flat and compressed. Sounds bloody awful frankly. The Pressing is terrible too, my Decca won't even track it at all, skips about all over the place. This is the ONLY RECORD out of a collection of over 1000 that it does this on. It'll play on my other turntable but still sounds like shit.

I've mentioned this before but my biggest problem with the otherwise solid album is the production, specifically the huge amount of echo and reverb with a decent bit of autotune slathered on Jaz's vocals on most of the songs making it almost impossible to understand what he's singing.  That and the way Geordie's guitar tone is made to sound as fairly generic metal on a lot of tracks.  A good comparison is the studio vs live version of Autonomous Zone - the live version, Geordie's classic tone really cuts through, the album, it sounds like he's playing a Les Paul copy through a cheap Boss amp modeling peddleboard straight into pro-tools.  "Big Buzz" is probably the biggest exception to this - that sound couldn't come from anyone else than Geordie.

I will say, at least on the CD the album is nowhere near brickwalled as Absolute Dissent and to a lesser extent MMXII was.  I'll still awaiting my LPs from Pledge so I can't comment on what it sounds like on vinyl yet.