[kj] FNM's Mike Bordin on KJ

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Thu May 14 16:43:23 EDT 2015

http://www.faithnoman.com/mike-bordin
Mike
 Bordin, you pioneered an innovative style that emphasized full-kit,
tom-driven grooves over tight kick-and-snare patterns. This became like a
 Bordin / Faith No More trademark. Did it all start back with Morris and
 Faith. No Man?

 don't particularly want to contradict Morris, but the fact is that
there were several things working together at that time to break me out
of the "normal" style of drumming. Seeing the Sex Pistols' last show at
Winterland really changed everything for me. I knew there was more out
there musically, because I had seen it with my own eyes. The guy that
introduced me to Morris and consequently the others, Rick Clare, I was
in a bad new wave band with that I didn't fit in at all. He knew I was
coming from a metal background and consequently into harder stuff like
Killing Joke, Pil, etc. and suggested I look into Morris, who he said
was also into stuff like that.

Listening
 to that style (maybe they called it Post Punk?) was hugely influential
in breaking out of tradition. Pete De Frietas (Echo and the Bunnymen
R.I.P.) Martin Atkins, and Big Paul Ferguson were all both much more
musical and rhythmically aggressive in their approaches and very
inspiring. Maybe
 most importantly, I was in a class at school with a Ghanian Drum
Master, C.K. Ladzepko, who taught Ghanian style ensemble percussion.
This was drum (tom) patterns as rhythmic frameworks exclusively. There
was
 a huge group of bands in the Bay Area called Worldbeat who studied in
this class, The Looters, Big City, Mapenzi, to name a few. Being left
handed really helped here, because I hadn't been crossing my hands
anyway, and I could get around the drums with ease. Playing like this
and listening to the first couple Killing Joke albums, among others, it
all really made a lot of sense, and at that time, I was absolutely ready
 (and looking) to do something different, as were many people.