[kj] FNM's Mike Bordin on KJ

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 14 08:59:16 EDT 2015

In an interview with UK drumming magazine Rhythm, Faith No More's Mike Bordin talks about his influences. When he was a kid, he loved Bill Ward, Ian Paice, Cozy Powell and John Bonham, but later discovered British post-punk drummers like Big Paul, Pete DeFreitas and Hugo Burnham who he came to love because because they were unique and didn't play like anyone else. Big Paul is described as "amazing", with "incredible texture". We all know FNM are big Joke fans, but it never hurts to see it said in print again!

Re: FNM. It's good to see the US media appreciating them as a deeply individual band, resolutely doing whatever the fuck they want, as opposed to their stance 20 years ago, which was that they released one bona fide 'classic' album (The Real Thing), before committing "commercial suicide" with Angel Dust (a much better album that TRT) and blandly fizzling out a few years later. I've liked everything I've heard from Sol Invictus and can't wait to have the whole album.

Jim.

NOW AVAILABLE: Flowers From Hell: The Modern Japanese Horror Film, by Jim Harper (Noir Publishing).

"Fascinating overview of the Japanese horror boom... Comprehensive, in-depth and slickly presented."- DVD Monthly.

Available from Noir Publishing, Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and all good bookstores.