[kj] Hooky & the Joke

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 7 08:50:19 EST 2013

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I'm just finishing
Peter Hook's book, "Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division," and he
was some very complementary things to say about our boys Jaz & Geordie
(one of them being that one of his biggest life regrets was never
playing in band with them).

He briefly goes into the period when he was asked to replace Youth on
tour circa PANDEMONIUM. Apparently they all went out drinking
(shocker) and then played him the album. Drunk as fuck, Hooky says --
literally -- "I can't play this shit." He didn't mean "this is shit,"
but "this shit" as in "this stuff" and/or "check this shit out" etc.
In any case, our boys in the Joke misinterpret him and tempers flair
(how unlike them, eh?) and miscommunication ensues. But he still gets
the job offer -- only to have Youth change his mind at the last minute
and tour.

In any case, the book's well worth a read (and a lovely physical
artifact to boot).

Alex in NYC