[kj] Auckland gig "review":

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Thu Jun 13 15:50:41 EDT 2013

http://www.witchdoctor.co.nz/index.php/2013/06/killing-joke-the-studio-auckland-thursday-june-13-live-review/

Interesting in that it doesn't mention the show at all and is instead a diatribe against an oversold venue with poor sightlines. Glad for KJ that it needed to be oversold; too bad for the attendees, however.

There was a similar situation here in Minnesota last year when AEG opened a new club called "The Brick" (sigh) and hadn't given any thought to how people might actually be able to see the show, given the relative location of the stage and viewing areas. This was a 2000-capacity club where at least 500 people would have to "watch" the show on TV screens from a basement room with literally no view of the stage, and the main entrance / exit was a single door which meant it took about two hours to get everyone inside. The grand opening show with Jane's Addiction was such a clusterf*ck that they ended up refunding every single ticket and promptly closed down.

They reopened a few weeks later, re-branded as "Mill City Nights" (double sigh), at less than 1200 capacity and better sightlines, I'm told. I won't be visiting until Adam Ant plays there in September.