[kj] Singles Collection -- thoughts

T.B. planetary at socal.rr.com
Mon Jun 3 17:08:53 EDT 2013

Alexander Smith wrote:

(snip)

Regardless, it's truly a pretty thing, and it's hard to argue with the track
selection (although I know we all can). I'm curious to see how this rarities
disc differs from the rarities disc in the box, as I've heard it does. We'll
see.

My question is this. I've never met Spinefarm's Dante Bonutto. I don't know
what he does for that label. I'm sure he's an exceptionally nice guy and has
remarkable taste. But, honestly, why on God's green earth would you recruit
someone who -- by his own admission -- is only a passive late-comer to
Killing Joke to write the liner notes?? I mean, what the fuck? Was it just
cheaper that way?

I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked this set, especially the singles
2nd disc and the Rarities disc. Never heard the Flexidisc version of Money
and after repeated listens, it's now my favorite version of the song. As
far as rarities, "Sixth Sun" should have been on AD instead of a track like
Depthcharge. On the other hand, they made the right choice not including
Feast Of Fools - that's a halfhearted generic "rawk" track.

T.B.