[kj] Raven

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Tue Jul 16 23:17:25 EDT 2013

There is a clip in the TDARS documentary where Jaz is fuming about Raven
pissing off to join Ministry, I can't remember when, but I gather it threw a
spanner in the works at the start of a tour or something.

I won't have the words quite right but it was essentially "if Raven and I
see each other again one of us isn't going to survive the encounter" - I was
a bit shocked to be honest. A) never knew there had been a beef between Jaz
and Raven, b) 1982 anyone? seems a bit hypocritical, and c) some things are
better left off the record, and especially off the filmed record.

Ditto for comments he made about:

Wanting to shoot people holding onto funds from his classical recordings

The lines at the end of Age of Greed (albeit with the caveat at the start of
the next song)

Comments he made in that rant about corporations - could almost be seen as
exhorting western suicide bombers

My point being.there are some anecdotes from the past such as the 2003
recordings (we've got our own clean-up crew on-call), Jaz's comments about
the Big Paul split on XXV Gathering DVD etc - if any of that ended up in
court, and the prosecuting lawyer played those comments.I'm no PR expert but
I'm guessing wide-eyed premeditated violent intent expressed on camera is a
bad thing.

Having said that, my impression is that Jaz has had a big change of heart
over the years - quitting esoteric fraternities in favour of more spiritual
pursuits, relinquishing material possessions and travelling the world with
only the clothes on his back etc. He said as much at the TDARS doco, that he
finds some of the footage almost unbearable to watch.

At the end of the day they came through those situations, got over their
differences and moved on (okay it took a few decades ;), despite some nasty
incidents and words. Most bands end up never talking to each other again, or
constantly slagging each other off.or even worse, getting back together and
making shit music. So I think it's a testament to KJ that they managed to
patch things up, move on together successfully, and be honest about what had
happened.

Hopefully those comments in the XXV Gathering doco about Killing Joke always
causing chaos mayhem and violence in a metropolitan-wide radius for all who
get involved with them are a thing of the past.ditto with addictions.

BQ