[kj] punk

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 8 13:55:09 EDT 2012

I'm not going to get sucked into this further. You can cite "England's
Dreaming" in much the same way I can cite "Please Kill Me."

Alex in NYC

On Sep 8, 2012, at 12:18 PM, Rob Moss wrote:

> For all the piss take I have done in the past I have to kind of agree.

> There was something happening in the UK anyway, look at the pub rock

> scene, but without Talcy Malcy going to the states and getting off

> on the scene there, we would not have had the orchestrated movement

> we had in the UK.

> The basis was different for sure. American punk came out of the post

> Woodstock/Vietnam war thing. Ours came out of the post war depression.

> The Ramones sang about girls. The Pistols about boredom and Anarchy.

> They were not the same thing but without Mclaren going to states, it

> would have been a different thing in the uk. More rooted in old

> British RnB.

> Bands like The stranglers and the Blockheads would have come along

> and done their thing but they would have been different, especially

> the Stranglers.

> What came after 1976/77 though was awful. The UK OI! Scene was

> hideous and that American punk circa 1984 was shit. Only band to

> move me out of America were Dead Kennedys. Rancid and their ilk

> leave me cold.

> Anyway. Read England's Dreaming. That is pretty much how it was.

> By the way.

> Today, saw two kids busking Eagles songs in Oxford.

> Punk failed.

> Discuss.

> On 8 Sep 2012, at 14:06, Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net>

> wrote:

>> I can't believe this is still going.

>> Rob Moss re-invoked it as a jest, .... and it's predictably taken

>> off again.

>> Listen, ask one of your justifiably-revered stalwarts of British

>> punk -- Strummer, Vanian, Simonon, Jones, etc. etc. pick one -- and

>> invariably *BY THEIR OWN ADMISSION* they'll say that the Yanks

>> started it. YES, the Brits *TOOK IT SOMEWHERE ELSE AND MADE IT

>> THEIR OWN*, ..... but it started in the States.

>> I'm not making it up.

>> Alex in NYC

>> On Sep 7, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Rheinhold Squeegee wrote:

>>> The Dolls date to 1971 and the Stooges to 1967. This discussion

>>> doesn't even take into account the US garage band scene of the

>>> 1960's: Seeds, Standells, Sonics, etc. Check out Lenny Kaye's

>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvDeee14dEA

>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/8685349@N07/

>>> From: paulwady at hotmail.com

>>> To: gathering at misera.net

>>> Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:34:44 +0100

>>> Subject: Re: [kj] punk

>>> From my previous email:

>>> 1 - The very term PUNK was an AMERICANISM in the 1970's. It was

>>> adopted by UK people around that time. Even then lets face it,

>>> people still don't use it in Blighty for its original meaning

>>> today. They didn't then? It is entirely associated with a style

>>> from the late 70/s early 80/s best time of all for crude, sincere

>>> rock music.

>>> 2 - There was this band called the New York Dolls. Assume

>>> everyone here does not know them on account of Morrissey running

>>> their UK fanclub, and thus everyones kept a distance...what

>>> difference does it make??

>>> 3 - James Osterberg. Like anyone here needs to know what

>>> pseudonym he resides on the UK's bedroom walls under? (Not

>>> forgetting Scottish trainspotters...)

>>> 4 - Eddy and the Hot Rods. Okay okay, sorry sorry. But I had to

>>> remind y'all just how bad things where then. WE HAD THE ****ING

>>> OSMONDS ON THE RADIO...ON TOP OF THE POPS...TV SPECIALS...LOOK IN

>>> AND THE MAGAZINES AND THE PAPERS... This was surely the closest

>>> our generation ever got to living through the Blitz? It was hell

>>> in there. Hell. You'd walk down the road and your contemporaries

>>> and those a bit older had FLARES and MULLETTS. Me? I still have

>>> flashbacks. (Wake up in the middle of the night screaming CRAZY

>>> HORSES!!! WAAAH! WAAH! So America does have a lot to answer

>>> for. Salt Lake City - capitol of trauma etc).

>>> I am very sorry to bring up the things we'd all rather forget.

>>> (Donnie. Marie. Jesus....) But the Sex Pistols did it their

>>> way, and we all love them for it. They did not invent it but good

>>> god did they do it brilliantly. Even the Rolling Stones were

>>> described as a "Dartford Delta Blues band" recently. The Beatles

>>> were surely partially due to their living in a transatlantic

>>> seaport? Sailors selling the lp's they'd picked up in the USA you

>>> see?

>>> So...they gave it to us...and we improved it and sold it back to

>>> them? Tee hee. x

>>> Free download album: http://linearobsessional.bandcamp.com/album/the-terminal-beach

>>> PAULWADY.COM

>>> From: bq at soundgardener.co.nz

>>> To: gathering at misera.net

>>> Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 16:35:19 +1200

>>> Subject: Re: [kj] punk

>>> Okay, are we all agreed on Kyuss, yeah?

>>> Anyone NOT like Kyuss…? Seriously?

>>> Okay let’s just put an album on….

>>> NO MAN!!!

>>> No, fuck’s sake, just put an alb-

>>> No man it was my turn tu-

>>> Fuckin, just put a FUCKIN album on man

>>> Fuckin not Soundga-

>>> What?! Fuckin….why not? It’s fuckin awes-

>>> NOT FUCKING SOUNDGARDEN, MAAAAAN!!!!! O-KAY?!?!?!?!

>>> Jesus.

>>> What.

>>> EVER.