[kj] punk

Rob Moss rob.moss at gmx.com
Sat Sep 8 12:18:21 EDT 2012

For all the piss take I have done in the past I have to kind of agree.

There was something happening in the UK anyway, look at the pub rock scene, but without Talcy Malcy going to the states and getting off on the scene there, we would not have had the orchestrated movement we had in the UK.

The basis was different for sure. American punk came out of the post Woodstock/Vietnam war thing. Ours came out of the post war depression.
The Ramones sang about girls. The Pistols about boredom and Anarchy.
They were not the same thing but without Mclaren going to states, it would have been a different thing in the uk. More rooted in old British RnB.
Bands like The stranglers and the Blockheads would have come along and done their thing but they would have been different, especially the Stranglers.

What came after 1976/77 though was awful. The UK OI! Scene was hideous and that American punk circa 1984 was shit. Only band to move me out of America were Dead Kennedys. Rancid and their ilk leave me cold.

Anyway. Read England's Dreaming. That is pretty much how it was.

By the way.

Today, saw two kids busking Eagles songs in Oxford.
Punk failed.

Discuss.