[kj] MMXII thoughts

fatpotanga fatpotanga at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:38:46 EDT 2012

All in all I really, really like it.
It's Killing Joke back to different again.
Nice to hear it softer & poppier, less metal & Jaz singing.
Very much reminds me of Night Time era Killing Joke. Great modern production, but with a live feel too.
I wonder - as with the last album - the nods to previous song/albums are deliberate.
Broad appeal.
Best ever album? The back catalogue is so varied it's impossible to say there is one
It's different & fresh sounding & to my mind is certainly a very strong contender.

Pole shift - Like the verses, not too fussed on the double time bits. I hated the album version of Beautiful Dead for that very reason - the flexi was much better.
Fema Camp - Quite like this, though not blown away
Rapture - Its's OK, but i get bored of it. Are there samples from Pssyche in there?
Colony Collapse - awesome - great bounce & rhythm and DIFFERENT
Corporate Elect - Jaw dropping & a massive hook. In similar vein to Another Bloody Election - love it
In Cythera - I think this is one of the best songs they've every done & (I don't say this lightly) is worthy of awards.
Primobile - Really, really like this. Got a bit of a BTATS vibe to it.
Glitch - OK, same climb as Intravenous, keyboards hark back to Rubicon but fuck me, this kicks. Some really great riffage.
Trance - Intro is very firedances, chorus IS Pssyche - but again, it's sounds/feels so different form everything of late.
On Alls Hallows Eve - really reminds me of something & I can't place what. Killing Jokes Albatross??!