[kj] Origin of "Cythera":

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Wed Mar 7 15:24:02 EST 2012

For those who don't want to listen to the interview:

Cythera is a Greek island thought to be the birthplace of Venus. It is represented in a painting by Antoine Watteau

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Watteau

called "Pilgrimage to Cythera," although some scholars translate it to indicate the travelers are leaving, rather than arriving at, Cythera.

Jaz likens this to his feelings of sorrow when he leaves his island off New Zealand but of joy for being reacquainted with friends and family around the world.

The poet Keats also references Cythera in his "Endymion."

http://www.bartleby.com/126/34.html

Visit my Cytherea: thou wilt find

Cupid well-natured, my Adonis kind;

And pray persuade with thee—Ah, I have done,

All blisses be upon thee, my sweet son!”—
920

Thus the fair goddess: while Endymion

Knelt to receive those accents halcyon.

So there you go.