[kj] Gothtastic

Nick Scott npscott at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 16:08:00 EDT 2012

I really am puzzled how expressing an opinion (just as you are doing)
has anything to do with insecurity? I think you need to explain your
"labeling" of me there!

Again, under my own opinion, I am well aware of a lot of bands that
have gotten lumped into the Goth moniker that are usually "labeled" as
darkwave/post punk/new wave. Still doesn't stop my own puzzlement.

Cocteau Twins, Killing Joke, The Chameleons, The Cure all at some
point have been called "goth"

I personally find most post-punk to not have the pretentions the
"goth" moniker gives.

Take The Missions "Children" album..if that is "goth" then you may as
well say so were Led Zeppelin.

On 27 April 2012 16:00, Paul Rangecroft <paul.rangecroft at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not just the lyric content, it's the music too and the image to a

> lesser extent. I can't explain why the All About Eve song is on the

> list (although the nautical theme is a blatant mataphor) but I don't

> think it's a travesty that LLB is. I mean if they'd picked

> 'Millennium' say I'd object, but they picked the right sort of single.

> Some KJ songs appeal to goths, get over it and don't be so insecure.

> On 4/27/12, Nick Scott <npscott at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>> So if lyric content mean "goth" wtf are All About Eve doing in the

>> list with their nautical song "Martha's Harbour"  Galley slaves sooooo

>> goth!

>> On 27 April 2012 09:04, Paul Rangecroft <paul.rangecroft at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes I agree, Jim. Killing Joke aren't a goth band but there's clearly

>>> an overlap with some of their material and nothing wrong with that. A

>>> dark, brooding single about death with blood in the title taken from

>>> an album called "Night Time" would obviously be of interest to anyone

>>> into that genre. That doens't mean the band itself and everything they

>>> do is forever lumped in that category. The Guardian playlist is a good

>>> bit of publicity that may well lead others like you to discover their

>>> diversity.