[kj] What? Records:

ADRIAN WASON adrianwason at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 25 16:11:39 EDT 2012

Rob you're a fuckin BULLY!

________________________________
From: Rob Moss <rob.moss at gmx.com>
To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!) <gathering at misera.net>
Sent: Wednesday, 25 April 2012, 18:21
Subject: Re: [kj] What? Records:

But this is a common misconception. Sorry. Not meaning to pick on you.

But.

That £5 goes to what records. Not KJ. What records pay 20% vat. So that's £1 off. Then they have to make money. So maybe another £1 as retailer. Then Spinefarm have to press it and distribute it. £1. And colesy gets paid for artwork. So, there is probably less than £2  that has to give Spinefarm a profit and the band some money.

On a standard release at £15 in the shop the retailer will probably pay £8. The distribution get 20-25%. The band get about 14% on the dealer price of £8. About £1. Between 4. And the management get 20% of that!

Believe me. As someone who has released 3 albums and never received a penny. The band does not make money at this!

That is why pledge, for all it's faults, is a good deal for the artist. Always try and buy music from the artist website. It makes a hell of a difference.

Well, I was speaking with tongue planted firmly in cheek, but the single wasn't self-released, it was a licensed limited edition of 200 (mine is #87). At 5BP each, there is only the potential to generate $1000BP, so nobody is getting rich but I doubt the band lost money on the deal. Its not like they're selling it for less than it cost to produce, even taking studio costs for "Penny Drops" into account.