[kj] OT: Strap yourselves in - first CHI then CALi.

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat Mar 19 04:19:39 EDT 2011

The US generates up to 20% of its power from nuclear, all of it stable 24/7
baseload generation, vs most forms of renewable which are variable and not
as suited to baseload. If nuclear generation stopped tomorrow the lights
would all go out. It's just not going to happen in the short term. Can't
watch American Idol when your power is being rationed.

Long term I agree, we have to come up with new forms of clean, low-risk
generation, conversion, transmission and storage, in fact it's bound to
happen and will be economically transformative for the global economy. And a
massive investment opportunity for those who position themselves ahead of
time.

There were more rumours of breakthroughs in cold fusion out of Italy late
last year.